EAT Minutes October 2008
October 28, 2008 at 12:30 pm, Van Tassell room 5006
The meeting began at 12:30pm and concluded at 2:00pm. Next meeting is Nov. 19, 2008 from 6:30pm to 8pm at Farmhouse Table or Tree Fruit Research station (to be decided).
Colleen Donovan; Amy Simonson; Nancy Warner; Laurie Riegert; Nadine Lehrer; Tracy Walsh; Katie Kelly, Alixandra Cohen; Joan Qazi.
Dates to Watch For:
- Oct. 30th, Nadine’s presentation on Sustainability in the Tree Fruit industry at the Museum hosted by the Audubon Society.
- Nov. 1st, Farmhouse Table’s Some Enchanted Eating celebration
- Nov. 6th, Community Indicators Website launching at Stanley Civic Center, 4pm
- Nov. 8th, Hog Slaughter Workshop at 4W Ranch in Ellensburg 8:30am to 2pm
- Nov. 17th, Farm to Table Conference at Wenatchee Community Center
$1,137.49 is the current balance. Cash box has $175.00.
Welcome to new EAT members Tracy Walsh (with IRIS), Katie Kelly (with W.I.C.) and Alixandra Cohen, food service management intern.
- CFA Calendars include CFA data and are 12-month calendarsavailable for sale at $12 each. We need to buy a calendar stand (from Staples?) for Top Foods. Calendars will be for sale at the Some Enchanted Eating celebration. In the next iteration of the calendar, we need to change Heifer to Heifer International. Anjou needs more calendars and Sarah Barkley has agreed to ask Pak-it-Rite to sell the calendars.
- Farm to Table Workshop EAT members are asked to spread the word about the upcoming workshop so that we get good attendance from both farmers, food artisans and institutional food buyers. Flyers were passed out to attendees to pass along to interested parties. Personal invitations always work best. The schedule for the meeting was reviewed along with panelists and break-out sessions. This has been revised to have the meat panel running concurrently with the break out sessions. It was suggested that we have Healthy Kids/Local Farms legislation hand-out. Amy Simonson offered to help with a participant listing that would return useful information to the workshop attendees such as contact information and what each grows or processes. We have drafted a registration form to collect some of this data. Colleen suggested that the Evaluation form should include a question about the effectiveness of the EAT website in connecting institutional buyers with farmers. We need flip charts (Nancy has one) and someone to be the official photographer of the workshop. It was suggested that we contact John Taylor at the Wenatchee World about an official video for the event. EAT members are requested to attend and help set up (7:30am) and clean up (3pm) as well as facilitate the break out sessions.
- School Garden Committee The Newbery garden and the Foothills garden have been cleaned up and prepared for winter. The garden club at Newbery is being assisted by Mike Cochran who will work on a better composting system.
- Community Gardens No report this month.
- Website Sunchokes and Squash Blossom is a blog site for EAT developed by Amy Simonson. Ben Fields is willing to continue doing things gratis but at his own time. Updates will include front page of calendar, school garden updates, reader’s page (interactive through blogger.com), and local seasonality (In season).
- Media Isaac Kaplan has three EAT calendars to give away on his show and then to advertize where the calendars are available for sale.
Follow-up on Topic(s) that were discussed in this meeting:
Ginny will address postcards and mail them out after Joan provides mailing labels and postage stamps. Kim Lohse will check with Watershine about being a Panelist.
- Working Group Chairperson Joan Qazi; Meeting Facilitator: Joan Qazi; Minute Taker: Angela Schaub; Treasurer: JoEllen Colson; Webmaster: Dave O’Connor; Newsletter: Fran Taber; Media Diva: Kim Langston; Fundraising: Scott Parsons
- Community Food Assessment Chairperson Joan Qazi; Billie Jo Ellis; Fran Taber; Colleen Donovan; Kim Langston; Judy Preston; Angela Schaub (Data Analysis); Marcy Ostrom; Laurie Riegert; JoEllen Colson; Consuelo Coronel
- Consumer Education Chairperson None; Kim Langston; Billie Jo Ellis; Shawn Hansen; Joan Qazi; Ginny O’Kelley; Laurie Riegert; Judy Preston
- Community Garden Chairperson None; Jenn Crawford; Sharlynn Cobaugh; Kim Langston; Shawn Hansen; Dawn Fisher; Michel Wiman
- 501c3 Exploratory Chairperson Angela Schaub; Angela Schaub; Fran Taber; Colleen Donovan, Sharlynn Cobaugh;
- Edible Schoolyard /Farm to School Chairperson Angela Schaub; Angela Schaub; JoEllen Colson; Joan Qazi; Scott Parsons; Dawn Fisher
- Farm-to-Table Chairperson None; Fran Taber; Marcy Ostrom; Bill and Vonnie Smith; Michel Wiman
Suggestions for next meeting:.
Next Meeting November 19 from 6:30pm to 8pm at Farmhouse Table…need to reconfirm this. We can debrief about Farm to Table at this meeting.