EAT Minutes December 2008
Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:30 pm, WVC Wells Hall room 1045
The meeting began at 12:30pm and concluded at 2:00pm. Next meeting is Jan 28, 2009 from 6:30pm to 8pm at Tree Fruit Research Station Lunch Room.
Rich Colson; Joan Qazi; Angela Schaub; Kim Lohse; Amy Simonson, Michel Wiman, Vaishali Bhide, Ken Toevs, and Sherry Schneider.
Dates to Watch For:
- February 9, 2009: Meet and EAT, farm to table networking potluck
$1490.49 is the current balance.
New Thoughts and Reminders:
- Scott Parsons reminded that meal subscriptions are still available through the Healthy Gourmet.
- EAT Seasonally Calendars are now on SALE for $10 each. Please promote them.
- Possible workshop for commercial food prep. Joan will draft a survey to feel out possible participants.
- Amy Simonson’s new business, The Seasonal Kitchen, will include a charitable focus
- New sustainable magazine through Wenatchee World (quarterly). Joan has written a column.
- CFA The following individuals will follow up on calendar distributions: Vaishali Bhide – Pretiola/Wenatchee Natural Foods/Sunnyslope, Rich Colson – Lemolo/PUD, Amy Simonsen – McGlinn’s, Joan Qazi – Sage Mountain/WRAC, Michel Wiman – Anjou Bakery, Sherry Schneider – Farmhouse Table, Ken Toevs – Top Foods. The calendars are now on sale for $10 each. Joan and Michel will begin to consolidate data from CFA and format into a final report to be presented to local policy makers.
- Waste Diversion Project No report this month.
- Consumer Education The possibility of a Fresh Foods program that would increase the availability of fresh produce to seniors in the valley was brought up at the last meeting. EAT is looking for an individual to coordinate this project. Amy added that she would like to develop a weekly meals program, possibly through churches, for families in need/seniors/health recoveries. Vaishali will work with Amy on this. Sherry stated that the program would fit in well with a non-profit association. Others interested should contact Amy or Joan.
- Grant Work Vaishali, Joan, Michel, and Angela will apply for the Fiskars Grant with the funds to be used towards a community garden and Sunnyslope Elementary’s garden. Vaishali has agreed to coordinate this project.
- School Garden Committee Vaishali inquired about when to run the poster contest at Sunnyslope for the garden sign. Angela and Joan both responded that after the first of the year would be best. Joan passed on from Bob Gillespie that the greenhouse space at Wenatchee Valley College is available for the garden starts. The Foothills Garden sign is underway using metal scrap yardart and painted tiles.
- Community Gardens No time for this report this month, will be addressed next meeting.
- CSA Michel purchased a DVD about CSAs and highly recommended that the video be presented to the community to increase awareness about CSAs. Kim said that next fall would be best if presented through the Environmental series at the museum. Angela suggested Wenatchee Valley College.
- Website Current challenge is maintaining farmer updates on EAT website. Elaine Woodland was recommended to help current webmaster.
- Media No report this month
- Farm to Table Amy Simonsen is working on a farm to table directory including participants from recent meeting and in conjunction with IRIS/EAT. A discussion ensued regarding charges for the directory that would cover printing costs and yearly updates. The directory would be available at a few key places. Also available is the participant list from the Farm to Table workshop, which lists what farmers produce specifically. Thoughts were shared on how producers should be listed on website (i.e. location, goods, types of producers, etc). Kim suggested adding a Search function to the web page. Joan shared a review of the recent Farm to Table workshop. Comments included not enough networking time and holding a second workshop. Rich suggested a quarterly network meeting (mini-workshop). Sherry will check with Chateau Fair Le Pont for space on Mon, Feb 9th from 10-3pm.
Follow-up on Topic(s) that were discussed in this meeting:
- Kim will contact Elaine Woodland about assisting the current webmaster.
- Joan will draft together a brief survey for area institutional food service workers to see if there is interest in a Local Foods Culinary Workshop.
- Said individuals mentioned above will check with their respective locations to collect any calendar monies. It was suggested that calendars be placed at Sunnyslope Elementary and Foothills Middle School.
- Working Group Chairperson Joan Qazi; Meeting Facilitator: Joan Qazi; Minute Taker: Angela Schaub; Treasurer: JoEllen Colson; Webmaster: Dave O’Connor; Newsletter: Fran Taber; Media Diva: Kim Langston; Fundraising: Scott Parsons
- Community Food Assessment Chairperson Joan Qazi; Billie Jo Ellis; Fran Taber; Colleen Donovan; Kim Langston; Judy Preston; Angela Schaub (Data Analysis); Marcy Ostrom; Laurie Riegert; JoEllen Colson; Consuelo Coronel
- Consumer Education Chairperson None; Kim Langston; Billie Jo Ellis; Shawn Hansen; Joan Qazi; Ginny O’Kelley; Laurie Riegert; Judy Preston
- Community Garden Chairperson None; Jenn Crawford; Sharlynn Cobaugh; Kim Langston; Shawn Hansen; Dawn Fisher; Michel Wiman
- 501c3 Exploratory Chairperson Angela Schaub; Angela Schaub; Fran Taber; Colleen Donovan, Sharlynn Cobaugh;
- Edible Schoolyard /Farm to School Chairperson Angela Schaub; Angela Schaub; JoEllen Colson; Joan Qazi; Scott Parsons; Dawn Fisher
- Farm-to-Table Chairperson None; Fran Taber; Marcy Ostrom; Bill and Vonnie Smith; Michel Wiman
Suggestions for next meeting:
- Next Meeting Jan 28, 2009 from 6:30pm to 8pm at the Tree Fruit Research Station lunch room.